Friday, July 22, 2016

Took My Topwater Tactics to Blackwater Today...



And logged a total of eight bass before heading back north. I decided to stop in Albright's for a while and picked up three more while I was there. My best four on the day weighed 1-1, 1-5 (pictured here), 1-7, and 1-10.

I used three different topwater baits to catch all 11 bass. They were slammin' the baits as readily between 1:30 and 2:30 this afternoon, as they were between 6:30 and 8 o'clock this morning. It was one of those days when you really needed to have a firm grip on your rod.

I'll be taking this weekend to decide what area along the North Landing will be my next test bed for these topwater tactics. I may only get in one pre-tourney day on the water this next week, depending on the weather predictions.

Rob Chatham and Craig Jones launched right behind me this morning and, as I later learned, spent a couple hours fishing West Neck Creek. Rob was hanging around the marina when I came in this afternoon and told me they boated a total of three bass this morning, including one that went a little better than 2 lbs.

And in my email this evening when I had a chance to check it was a note from Ron Ameika, giving me a digest of his fishing trip yesterday evening. Following a wee nap when he arrived home from work yesterday, he loaded up his kayak and headed to what he calls "No Name Creek." His tally on the evening was a 13-inch striper, four dinks on an XTS and a Whopper Plopper, which also yielded a 1-lb 4-oz bass.

Ron went on to say there was a chance he would get out this evening, too, but I haven't heard from him as of the moment. Maybe later.


As I thought, Ron did get in some fishing time today. He went to Milldam and Snake Creeks from 5:30 to 8:40 p.m. and found a few, including a nice 2-9 bass on a white Zoom fluke, as well as a 1-4 just before he quit at dark. While throwing a Whopper Plopper, he also picked up a couple of nice white perch. One measured 11 inches, and the other measured 12+ inches (see photo at right) and weighed 13 ounces.

Said Ron, "The heat wasn't too bad after 6:30 p.m., especially coupled with the slight breeze that was blowing." He also said he's going back at 5:30 in the morning to see if he can find a few more white-perch fillets.

No comments:

Post a Comment