Monday, July 4, 2016

Now That I've Had My Daily Laugh...


I can share what got me started in the first place. I've been catching glimpses for a while now of advertising for what they're calling the "Twitching Lure." It wasn't until this morning, though, that I actually took a few minutes and checked this thing out.

As I was reading, I let my mind wander, and it wasn't long before I had my wife thinking I maybe "had lost it." Actually, her exact words to me, after I had explained myself, were thus: "I think you're ready for a straitjacket."

The catalyst for my uncontrolled laughing was when I began considering a couple different possibilities. In short, I found myself questioning whether this electronic fishing gadget was just another con man's clever idea to rip off unsuspecting anglers from one coast to the other, or whether it perhaps was some dude's Plan B for an adult novelty toy that had failed to live up to its original Plan A billing.

After all, the advertising for this product on the Twitching Bait website reads, in part, as follows:

"Patented Vibra-Strike technology triggers fish DNA to instinctively strike at the lure, using the following actions:
     * It vibrates
     * It flashes
     * It buzzes
     * It glows in the dark."

Oh, and the advertising also states, "Recharges in minutes."

All joking aside, however, I learned that the "Twitching Lure" is for real, and it's backed by a real company with real people. They even have a few pretty well-known guides, captains and fishing pros supporting the claims this rechargeable twitch lure actually works. There are numerous pictures and videos of both amateur and pro anglers catching fish with the lure.

Something I found particularly amazing, though, was the fact the first promotional video for this lure contained "a fish on every cast or your money back guarantee." Shortly thereafter, however, this video was redone, minus the guarantee, but they still claim the lure can catch more fish than pretty much any other lure on the market.

And according to what I read, they've also produced some TV infomercials--but, no, they didn't hire Roland Martin to be the host this time. He seems to have had his one and hopefully only shot at infomercial fame with the one he did years ago about the helicopter lure. Let's face it: A person only can stand so many of those trademark "Oh, sons!" before they tune out and turn off--as I did many moons ago. But I digress.

So what's the verdict on this lure that, among its other advertised attributes already listed, also includes the following:
     * Works in freshwater and saltwater for any fish.
     * Comes with a USB charger, so you can charge it from nearly any device or computer.

The jury, in some cases, is still out, but the vast majority of reviews I saw had nothing good to say about the lure. Feelings of being hoodwinked ranked high in most of the reports. Reality just didn't match the company's two catchy slogans:

"Salt or fresh, big or small, the rechargeable Twitch catches them all."

"Fish can't resist the Twitch."

Maybe fish can't resist the "Twitch," but I certainly can. And if you're smart, you, too, will keep the $33.97 it costs on Amazon.com to purchase two of these things in your pocket. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment