Friday, July 8, 2016

Nothin' Finer Than a Topwater Bite in 91-Degree Water



That was my delight today, and it finished my day off in a flurry. At 1 o'clock, I hit a stretch of water where I picked up four bass in only 15 minutes. And, as if you didn't already know, all eight of the bass I boated today fell for my INT lure, and I caught all of them in Albright's.

Five of the fish were keepers, including two that measured 12 inches. The other three keepers weighed 1-6, 1-10 and 1-13 (pictured right).

The 1-10 really made my day. I just had made a cast in which one of the lure's treble hooks caught a piece of greenery right at the water line. Having had no luck in dislodging the lure, I just had started toward the snag with the trolling motor when I saw a fish swirl where the reed was located, then throw water as he snatched the bait free. I didn't realize exactly what had happened until I saw my line darting to the right.

I truthfully can't say today is the first time something like that has happened, but it is the first time in a long while I've been so lucky.

I'm sure glad I read an item about Denny Brauer the other day. He was talking about the fact it isn't the water temperature that determines whether fish will be present. Instead, it's the oxygen content. His premise is that if you see baitfish in an area, bass also are going to be there, and you shouldn't hesitate to work the area until you find what they want. I hit every stretch where I saw baitfish today and had another great time wearing out my topwaters. Yes, I missed some strikes, and a few fish never made contact, but overall, I was more than a little satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment