Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Following Baitfish All Day Again Pays Dividends



And once more, I boated everything on topwater lures. All but one of the 14 fish were the victim of my INT bait. That total included 10 bass, 2 white perch, 1 bluegill, and 1 crappie.

I only weighed 3 of the bass. Their weights were 1-3, 1-5 and 1-7 (pictured right). I'm not sure how many of the other 7 would have made the 12-inch minimum. Suffice it to say I plan to hit a different spot for the tourney this coming Saturday--one that usually produces bigger fish.

In most cases today, where I found one fish, I found at least two, and sometimes three. That's a change from the usual patterns I find. Another departure from the norm was two and occasionally three strikes from what appeared to be the same fish. Most times, one chance is all I get.

Met up with my friend Ray Scott this morning for the third time in about my last four outings. Since he retired from flying, Ray has been spending considerably more time on the water. A nicer guy you'll never find--I believe. Ray is one of the easiest going individuals I've ever known. And I'm certain Charlie Bruggemann will second that opinion.

Like me, Ray was finding it slow going to start with this morning. I didn't run across him again once I headed to the back of Albright's, though, so I don't have a clue how he ultimately made out today.


Received an email from another friend, Skip Schaible, this evening, with a report of some fishing he has been doing outside of bass fishing. The accompanying photo shows a nice 17-inch flounder he caught at Rudee.

Skip told me he also has been catching some croaker, small spot, and other species in recent days.

One thing is for sure: Skip doesn't sit around being bored. It's nothing unusual for him to grab his metal detector and head out to see what he can find. He also maintains membership in a hunt club and spends the winters chasing deer.

A man on the move--that's Skip.

No comments:

Post a Comment