Wednesday, June 22, 2016

A Bit o' Fishing Wisdom for Us Old Codgers


OK, I'll admit it. I don't move as fast or (sometimes) as steady as I used to, I gave up worrying about nonsense like skin and muscle tone years ago, and I wear funny lookin' fishin' hats nowadays. However, every bit of that is all right, 'cause, you see, I've earned the distinction as a "golden angler," or at least that's the sounds-good title used by a writer, whose article "Fishing Tips for Old Men" I was reading earlier today.

Different things influenced me to assemble this blog post, starting with an email swap I had this week with my friend and one-time tourney-fishing partner, Paul Celentano. He asked me how I was doing, and it just so happened that, when he asked, it was the next day after I had been fishing. And, per the standard drill these days, I was paying the price for my day of fun in the sun. To get straight to the point, I told him I was hurting--in so many different places I couldn't decide what to work on first. It's no longer just one day before I bounce back, either. It now takes two days before I return to just the normal aches and pains.

I also was influenced by the fact I've grown tired of lugging around so many heavy tackleboxes. And now that I've decided to concentrate my efforts on topwater fishing, I seized this opportunity to shed a lot of tackle weight. Yesterday, I went into the garage, pulled out all my topwater baits from those heavy boxes, and now have reduced down to one soft-sided container of small Plano boxes, plus my regular hard box of hooks, snaps and so forth. No longer will I have to transport those "dead-man boxes," as my friends Jim Bauer and Skip Schaible often jokingly have called them.

That being said, here are those fishing tips I referred to in the opening paragraph, as presented by the author, J. E. Myers:

"Just because some of us are getting up there in terms of years doesn't mean our enjoyment of fishing has to end. (As I told Paul the other day, "I always have and always will love fishing to my dying day.") Most seniors are still quite capable of enjoying fishing, especially the commune with nature and the opportunity for reflection. Seniors also have an obligation to share their love of fishing and their many decades of fishing knowledge with members of younger generations. Many seniors may need to adjust their game and take special precautions to remain safe and healthy.

Avoid Fishing Alone

"It's not a good idea for seniors to fish alone, at least not in boats, around deep waters, or in remote locations. (I wonder how many times I've heard my wife make remarks along this line.) Always take a fishing buddy with you, especially if you need help getting a boat in and out of the water. This prudent rule has an upside--you'll have the opportunity to pass on your skills and knowledge to younger people if you always take a younger buddy with you.

Lower the Bar

"If you were capable of spending six hours on a bass boat in the past, you may need to tone down your fishing trips to a more reasonable level for your age and physical condition. Consider taking shorter trips, especially if you'll be casting repeatedly, such as during bass fishing. Your throwing arm will thank you the next day that you didn't 'overdo' it. If repeated casting for bass is no longer in the cards, try bobber fishing for crappie and other panfish. The action--and the eating--can be just as fun.

Tailor Access

"Avoid fishing trips that require long treks through rough terrain or climbing up and down steep banks--for obvious reasons. The kind of hiking you used to do may not be safe these days. (Boy! Does that ever bring back my childhood memories of fishing Mozingo Bend on the Neosho River with my dad and brother. The bank was so steep we had to scale a rope tied to the bumper of Pop's old pickup. Mom used to have fits when she knew that's where we were fishing.) Seek good fishing opportunities from easy-access docks, for example. Many public lakes now offer special docks for seniors and wheelchair-bound anglers. 'Serious' fishing in deep water still can be safe for seniors, so long as you don't take the boat out alone.

Special Equipment

"A senior angler's tacklebox needs to include some new gear, including a spare pair of reading glasses and vital medications. A spare sun hat will be handy, in case yours blows away and you no longer can maneuver to retrieve it. A long 'reaching pole' can be handy. (It's a little strange that he mentions such a pole at the same time I was thinking earlier today about getting a "push pole" for my boat. I had an occasion on my latest trip when one would have come in very handy.) A long-handled net also is helpful. A pillow is a good idea for preventing 'boat butt.' Take a stadium seat if you'll be sitting in a boat with backless seats or benches.

Give Up Earlier

"Plan on breaking off snags. Buy cheaper lures so the loss won't be as painful, and you won't be tempted to try dangerous retrievals while perched in a precarious position on the boat. Don't push your luck; a herniated back or the prospect of drowning are not worth the cost of an $8 lure.

Warm Up First

"Before setting out on a day of fishing, take time to warm up your back and throwing arm muscles. Practice casting for 15 minutes each day, in the yard or driveway, for several days before the fishing trip. Do exercises to get your lower back and legs limber. Focus on twisting motions from a sitting position. (I've got just one question here: Who's going to help me up once I sit on the ground?) Find your comfort zone for casting, say 20 feet, and stick to that limit.

Rest

"Take a moment to sit back every half hour and rest your arm, neck and lower back. Soak in the sights and sounds of the lake, stream or pond and just reflect on the other joys of fishing. Don't be pressured to fish until your head falls off, just because younger people in the fishing party may be working the water nonstop. You've earned your moments as a "Golden Angler," (There's that delightful term I gotta remember for future reference.) so take them."


An author and entrepreneur for nearly 40 years, J. E. Myers has a broad and eclectic range of expertise in entrepreneurship, personal-computer maintenance and design, and visual and performing arts. Myers is a self-taught computer expert and owned a computer sales and service company for five years.



I realize I ran another article aimed at us old-timers on Aug. 1, 2015 (titled "Enjoy Those Care-Free Angling Days, 'Cause They Likely Won't Last"). This article, though, provides new info. Hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Ken all those fish your catching on the INT lure , is wearing you out, enjoy it while you can Dave

    ReplyDelete