Sunday, May 22, 2016

Will Someone P-L-E-A-S-E Turn Off These "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" Reruns?



I'm talking, of course, about the fact that "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" is proving to be a lot more than the theme song for just that old movie. It also seems to be taking up residence as the theme song for our 2016 tourney season. I don't think a single event has passed thus far this year without at least one anointing from that liquid from above.

Nevertheless, the anglers keep coming, as evidenced by today's turnout of 19 anglers in 11 boats, so I suppose that all is not lost.

Here are those who cumulatively walked away with all the marbles from today's contest:








1st Place, Chris Fretard, five bass, 13.60 lbs. total weight, 3.03-lb. big fish.













2nd Place, the team of (from left) Bob Glass and Randy Conkle, five bass, 13.45 lbs. total weight after 0.25 deduction for one dead fish, 3.59-lb. big fish.








3rd Place, the team of (from left) Nelson Anderson and David Dozier, five bass, 11.60 lbs. total weight. David also weighed the day's lunker, a 4.44-pounder.







Mystery Weight Winners, the team of (from left) Cathy Brandt and Jim Sumrell, four bass, 7.35 lbs. total weight. Their weight was closest to the 7.25 that was drawn. They had no big fish, and as Jim explained afterward, they didn't realize they only had four fish in the livewell until they were bagging them for weigh-in...and that was after culling all day. But, hey, we all make mistakes from time to time.




Here is how all the other competitors finished the day:

     * The team of Paul Celentano and Paul Higgins, five bass, 10.74 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Al Napier, five bass, 10.00 lbs. total weight, 3.16-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Gary Coderre and Lenny Hall, five bass, 9.49 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * The team of Don Carter and Rob Peppers, five bass, 7.88 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * The team of Nathan and Marjorie Gottsch, five bass, 7.06 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Steve Bailey, five bass, 6.57 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * The team of Mitch Portervint and Skip Schaible, two bass, 3.47 lbs. total weight, no big fish.

Overall, today's anglers weighed a total of 51 bass for a total weight of 101.21 lbs. The average weight was 1.98 lbs.

There were no new additions to our Classic field as the result of today's event.

Congrats to all of the winners and thanks to everyone who came out to participate. For planning purposes, our next scheduled event is Saturday, June 11, from safe light (probably about 5:30) to 2 o'clock. I hope you can join us.


Soon after the 19 anglers shoved off this morning, I took advantage of an opportunity I don't often get, and that was to go park my fanny in the passenger seat of my ol' van, adjust the seatback, and catch a few extra winks of shuteye.

I didn't wimp out because of the weather. Instead, I had promised my wife I would get home as soon as possible after weigh-in was complete so she could take me out to dinner for my birthday. By not taking my boat out of its storage shed this morning, I cut off 2+ hours of cleanup time this afternoon and actually beat some participants out of the parking lot.

Once awake from my nap, I spent time talking to several friends, including some new ones that I wanted to get to know better. It's hard to break old habits, which, in my case, centers on my career as a journalist/writer-editor. I can't tell you how many people I've interviewed over my lifetime, but it's more than a few. They probably sometimes get tired of my asking questions, and I certainly apologize to anyone I've ever offended by being so inquisitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment