Wednesday, May 18, 2016

These Parents May Mean Well, But Really...


Were they maybe bounced on their heads when they were these children's ages?

I wholeheartedly support the idea of making fishing a family affair, but I cannot, under any circumstances, condone the type of risky behavior demonstrated here. What kind of parent puts a crib with their child in it on the aft deck of a bass boat? To compound this lapse in headwork, they then decide to park near a dam and start fishing.

Dams have their own special set of dangers, starting with the fact that a large amount of water can be discharged through them at any time without warning. Even if you're an experienced boater, angler or swimmer, it pays to follow common-sense safety rules when fishing near these structures.

In my opinion, the accompanying photo simply portrays a potentially tragic accident waiting to happen. I can't help wondering if the folks in this photo, which came from the latest electronic issue of Jay Kumar's BassBlaster, perhaps are kin to a family that lives in my neighborhood. I've watched them display an equal amount of bad judgment in regards to the safety of their two kids on a number of occasions. It's gotten so bad I'm no longer surprised by anything they do.

The only good thing I see in this photo is that Mom and Pop are wearing life jackets, but that in no way compensates for all the negatives I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment