Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Spent the Day Cove Hoppin' in West Neck



With uncertain weather hanging around at 7:30 this morning, coupled with high water and not very good color in the main creek, I decided to check out some coves. The water in those I fished looked considerably better than the rest of the creek, so my decision was a no-brainer.

In quick order, I had two dinks in the boat and finished the day with one more dink, a 1-10, and a 2-0 (pictured here), all caught on a Pop R. Both of the bigger fish really slammed the bait and left no doubt they wanted it.

The 2-0 missed on the first pass but nailed the bait the second time around. He got a little more of it than he really wanted and ended up with one hook in his gill plates. Blood ran everywhere, but I successfully removed the hook and put the fish in my livewell. A half-hour later, he was crashing and thrashing, so I released him.

Steve Bailey launched shortly before me this morning, and later, when we met up as I was coming out of one of the coves, he asked to borrow my scales to check the weight of one he had caught a little earlier. He indeed had a nice bass that tipped the scales at 6-2. "My personal best of the year so far," he remarked before we went our separate ways again.

I don't know how Steve finished the day. He came off the water and left the marina while I was cleaning up my rig. I thought I also saw Gary Coderre on the water today, but I can't be certain it was him because the boat was too far away at the time.

With another tournament scheduled this coming Saturday, I won't be out again until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment