Saturday, May 14, 2016

A Winners' Circle Full of Double Digits



We paid four places today, and all four winning teams/individuals finished with double-digit total weights. Despite a foggy start, we launched 14 boats, with a field of 23 competitors. And to the credit of everyone who participated, not a single boat returned to the boat basin for weigh-in empty-handed. My congrats to all hands.

Here are those double-digit winners from today's contest:






1st Place, the team of (from left) Nathan Gottsch and Gary Coderre, five bass, 15.60 lbs. total weight. Gary also captured the lunker award with his 5.31-pounder.










2nd Place, the team of (from left) Paul Higgins and Paul Celentano, five bass, 13.82 lbs. total weight, 3.53-lb. big fish.














3rd Place, Mike Evans, five bass, 13.60 lbs. total weight, 4.81-lb. big fish.















4th Place, Steve Bailey, five bass, 10.60 lbs. total weight, no big fish.















Mystery Weight, the team of Richard Hall and Kevin Poley (the latter not available for photo). They had four bass for a total weight of 5.64 lbs., no big fish. The weight drawn was 5.85.








Here is how all the other contestants finished the day:

     * Al Napier, five bass, 9.62 lbs. total weight, 3.39-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Randy Conkle and Bob Glass, five bass, 9.31 lbs. total weight, 2.97-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Rob Peppers and Dave Anderson, five bass, 9.12 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * The team of Duane Kessel and Bobby Moore, five bass, 8.37 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Wayne Hayes, four bass, 6.97 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * The team of Docota Fox and Mike Speedy, four bass, 6.16 lbs. total weight, 2.83-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Alec Wommack and Zack Rhoads, three bass, 5.36 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Ken Testorff, two bass, 4.76 lbs. total weight, 2.92-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Mitch Portervint and Skip Schaible, two bass, 2.53 lbs. total weight, no big fish.

Overall, today's anglers weighed a total of 59 bass for a total weight of 121.46 lbs. The average weight was 2.05 lbs.

Three more contestants became eligible to participate in our season-ending two-day Classic. The total number now qualified is 17.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to everyone who came out to participate. For planning purposes, we are scheduled to hold another tourney next Saturday, May 21, from safe light (about 5:30 or 5:45) to 2 p.m. I hope you can join us.

One final note for the benefit of everyone who fished today: "Yankee" gave all of us a big "thumbs up" on our parking today. He asked me to tell everyone that he was extremely pleased with the way the parking lot looked.


Early this morning, while I was fishing in West Neck, waiting for the fog to lift so I could run south, I heard and saw a woodpecker diligently working over one of the old trees along the shoreline. He was banging the squat out of that tree with his beak.

This afternoon, then, as weigh-in time fast approached, I found myself drawing a parallel between my day on the water and that woodpecker I had seen early this morning. I, too, had been doing a lot of "banging." In my case, though, I mostly was banging my head into a "brick wall" of sorts. For eight hours of effort, I only had managed to boat two keepers.

I reckon it's a good thing I've been hard-headed most of my life. Otherwise, I likely would have thrown in the towel...a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment