Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Challenge: Finding Enough Water to Launch a Boat



When was the last time you heard low water was responsible for a vehicle backing off the end of the boat ramp at Munden Point Park? Yet, that's exactly what happened earlier today, according to a duty park employee I spoke to this afternoon.

I already had checked the NOAA water-level chart, so I knew the water was low (and has been for days now), but that didn't prevent me from wanting to get a firsthand look.

My first stop was at West Neck Marina, where I took a measurement at the extreme end of the ramp (pictured left) and learned the depth was 17 3/4 inches--just shy of knee level on me. As one would expect, given those conditions, the parking lot was empty, except for some sightseers and a lone bank fisherman.

From there, it was on to Munden Point, where there were a fair number of people enjoying the day without the benefit of having access to the boat ramp (pictured right). After touring the grounds with my wife, it was back to the van and headed home.

I'm chafing to be able to get back on the water, but for the moment, I'll just have to settle for living vicariously through the fishing report I got from Ron last evening and the one I'll probably get from Charlie tomorrow evening.

Kayaker Ron fished Lake Smith yesterday morning with a friend, who caught a bunch of crappie, while Ron picked up a few dinks and a 2-9 on a craw.

He spent the afternoon on Crystal Lake with his son, Alex, who also caught a 2-9. Ron's biggest, though, was this 3-15 (see left) bedding bass--his personal best to date this season and the first time in a good spell that he's bested Alex. Said Ron, "She wouldn't touch the craw, but I switched to a chatterbait with a fluke trailer, and she nailed it."

In today's email, kayaker Charlie indicated he'll likely try West Neck tomorrow. If today was any indication, he should have the whole place to himself--just the way he likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment