Thursday, April 21, 2016

Kept Pepe at Bay Today



Had put two fish in the boat by 10:30 this morning and missed one strike--all on topwater plugs. In order, they weighed 1-2 and 2-2 (pictured below), and the last proved to be the most fun of all.

I tossed my Pop R just past a wind-blown point, popped it once, and had a fish snatch it, but he came unbuttoned almost immediately. I went back a second, third and fourth consecutive time, all with the same results. Finally, though, on the fifth consecutive cast, he got enough of the hooks to stay buttoned. Can't remember the last time I've had that much fun with one fish.

Unfortunately, on one of the hooksets, I had nicked a gill plate, and the fish was bleeding like a stuck pig when I brought him aboard. I immediately put him in a livewell, though, and 30 minutes later, he was as full of himself as ever, so I released him, and he took off for parts unknown.

I spent my day in Albright's. When I came out of the cut-through, I turned left, cut the gas motor, and started fishing my way to the mouth. Once I got there, I fished the entire outside perimeter of the oxbow. I had decided I had enough of West Neck on Tuesday, and figured, too, that the water in Albright's would be cleaner. In areas, it was, but there were stretches of not-so-good-looking water there, too. I just stayed on the trolling motor all day.


Once I got home this evening, I had received another note from Ron Ameika, telling me that he had launched at Old Pungo Ferry Road earlier this evening and went to Spitzle Creek. He tried a variety of lures but only had action with a couple of them.

According to Ron's report, he had a few bumps on a Zoom fluke and lost something rather large that he suspects was a gar. He also landed a few surprise catches, including a channel catfish and this small striper, but no largemouth. The catfish took a fluke; the striper nailed the XTS.

Said Ron, "At least, I didn't get skunked."


Last but not least, I found a note in my inbox from my tourney partner, Rob Chatham, letting me know he had made a trip north today and picked up his new Phoenix bass boat. He included the accompanying photo.

I understand the plan is to start break-in of the outboard this Sunday. He tells me the old 50-hour break-in is a thing of the past--lucky him. I didn't think I'd ever complete those 50 hours I had to log with my SX-170. 'Tis a nice looking rig, my good man.

No comments:

Post a Comment