Friday, July 17, 2015

North Landing Continues To Be Stingy


That appears to be the consensus of the majority of anglers I'm hearing from, and I'm in total agreement after spending today on the water. Having worked my way through a series of crankbaits, spinnerbaits and soft plastics, all I had to show for my efforts was one 12-inch bass and a big grindle that I was lucky enough to give a quick release to without ever having to touch him.

There were a few bass as well that worked their way into early releases, and it wasn't just one bait they were hitting. The lone fish I managed to put in the boat came on a Rapala Scatter Rap. This lure has been my "bail out" bait more than once when I've been staring at a skunk, as I was until 1 o'clock today.

Jim Bauer also was on the water and told me he put three largemouth in the boat, but his best fish of the day was this 2.2-lb., 20-inch striper. He caught it at the West Neck Bridge while fishing for crappie with an 8-wt. fly rod and 8-lb. leader. Said Jim, "It gave me quite a ride for a bit."

He wasn't the only angler with a fly rod in his hand today. While working a stretch of shoreline in the oxbow down at Pungo Ferry, I ran across Ray Scott, who just had come out of Albright's.

I asked what kind of day he was having, and Ray responded that he had "caught a bunch of bream on his fly rod." I watched him continue his "bream-catching ways" there in the oxbow. Every time I glanced over my shoulder in his direction for the next 20 minutes or so, he was busy taking another fish off the hook. I don't own a fly rod, nor do I have a clue how to use one, or I very well might have grabbed it today.

I can only hope the bass fishing picks up a little bit before our next tourney scheduled for July 25th.


UPDATE

I received an email today (7/21/2015) from my friend, Doc, who definitely seconds the suggestion that North Landing is being extremely stingy right now. He said today marks his third consecutive trip without a single fish. The only sign he had today that any fish even still are alive was three bumps on soft plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment