Saturday, April 18, 2015

No Topwater Arsenal Is Complete Without a Few of These

I'm referring to none other than the Heddon Torpedo, which has been around since the 1920s. Made out of wood until 1936, this lure has a couple of adoring qualities. First and foremost, it catches fish, and secondly, it can be cast a "country mile," thanks to its bullet-like design.

Another benefit of this design is a smoother, more true, retrieve. Here is where the Torpedo really shines. With help from the propeller on the rear, it creates a racket on the surface that really gets "under the skin" of schooling or aggressive fish. The sound, according to some, is like the noise made by bass chasing shad to the surface. As we all know, bass quickly will target a solo baitfish that appears to be injured--hence, a good reason to twitch the lure.

Furthermore, the lure is versatile enough to be fished fast, slow, or with a pattern--all with equal effectiveness. One rule of thumb to remember is this: The warmer the water, the faster you can retrieve effectively.

Some anglers like to fish the Torpedo by reeling in slack line, jerking the rod downward to pull the lure forward a bit, then letting it rest a few seconds before repeating the action. Whatever technique you try, be forewarned that explosive strikes can and often do occur. The secret to fishing this lure is to vary your retrieves until the bass let you know the one they prefer on any given day.

As with all topwater lures, when you see the fish explode on a Torpedo, wait until you feel the weight of the fish before you set the hook. One expert's advice is to "wait about 2 seconds."

The Heddon Torpedo comes equipped with two treble hooks--one beneath the belly, and one at the rear, just below the propeller. And it's available in four sizes, including the Teeny (1/8 oz.), Tiny (1/4 oz.), Baby (3/8 oz.), and Magnum (5/8 oz.). You simply choose the one you feel is best for the situation.

Anyone who ever has used a Heddon topwater bait can tell you how effective they can be on the water. The Torpedo is no exception. "Deadly during the day, downright unfair at night" is how I saw one bass angler refer to this lure. Anyone who doesn't have some of these lures in their tacklebox are missing out on some golden moments.

Consider an item I found while researching the Internet for this story. It reflects some of the thoughts I've been having lately. Here is what the author said:

"Each year, fishermen spend millions of dollars on fishing tackle. We are constantly bombarded with new fishing lures, promising to be better than anything before it. The lures have photo finishes to look like actual fish. They have bodies that replicate the swimming action of baitfish and fry.

"I personally buy into this hype continuously. However, several recent fishing outings have reminded me that, often times, the oldest lure designs still stand the test of time. While bass fishing a few weeks ago, nobody around me was catching anything. I, likewise, had thrown most of my favorite lures without any success, as well.

"Finally, as a last ditch effort, I switched to a Heddon Torpedo--a lure that has been around for almost a century. And before you know it, the water was exploding with bass."

I truthfully can't say I've ever had the water around me "exploding with bass" when I've fished the Torpedo, but I have caught some nice fish with the lure. I also can say, with a certain degree of pride, that I went through this whole past winter without buying into all that hype about new lures--I never bought a single new one. And, for me, that's a real accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment