Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Are You Wondering Why There Haven't Been Any Fishin' Reports Lately?


It hasn't been because I'm sick or otherwise incapacitated. The simple truth is that I just haven't been catching enough to make it worth my time to do any blog posts about the trips. You may have noticed I haven't even bothered to fish the last two tournaments. That's mainly because I didn't have a clue where to find any fish.






Here's the "loner" I caught last Thursday, April 2, in the front end of Albright's. He weighed 1-3.










And here's the "loner" I caught yesterday, during another trip to Albright's. He tipped the scales at all of 1-7. Note the rub marks on his side toward the camera--not sure what that was about.




Both of these fish fell for shallow-running crankbaits--in different colors, though. And I missed a solid strike on a chatterbait yesterday, mostly the result of being lulled into a state of inattention (another way of saying I nearly had fallen asleep) after going hours with absolutely no action. The fish hit so hard he nearly yanked the rod out of my grasp, but by the time I was ready to respond, he had thumbed his nose at me and headed for parts unknown.

I've been hitting a few stretches in West Neck each trip, too, but don't seem to be able to generate anything at all there. Even that point I stumbled onto in the early part of this past winter has dried up.

For the first time this season, I noticed some fish busting the surface yesterday, so I broke out a Pop-R and tried to entice one of 'em to hit that, but they weren't having anything to do with it. I also noticed a few swirls in the water.

For part of yesterday, I was following my friend, Skip, as he worked a stretch of shoreline in Albright's with some soft plastics. I watched him boat his first fish of the day, and, as I later learned at the dock, he caught one more and lost two before calling it quits. My friend has been having some fishless days here recently, so I was happy to see him swinging 'em over the side again yesterday. Incidentally, Skip is like a kid with a new toy when it comes to his new, 24-volt trolling motor. Now, he just sticks the nose of his boat into the wind and goes, instead of "running in place" with that 12-volt he had.

With another tourney scheduled for this coming Saturday, I wish I could say that I had a game plan, but I don't. All I know is that I plan to have a full tank of gas, 'cause I have a feeling Rob and I very well may be burning a little fuel as we look for fish. There is one positive from these recent lackluster fishing days--I've been getting more comfortable with this bigger boat. I've had a chance to mix it up with a few of those "big boys" that run the North Landing, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the benefits of having a hot-foot in the boat--not to mention there's a lot of good to be said about those extra 35 horses hanging on the transom, too.

'Till next time, "Tight Lines!" to one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment