Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Another Topwater Kind of Day--How Long Can It Last?


Sorry but there won't be any photos of today's catch. As luck would have it, I went off and left both my cameras at home--forgot my bottled water, too. I didn't realize the problem until the boat nearly was loaded and ready to launch this morning, and there was no way I was going to make a trip back home. I stopped at the West Neck Marina Store to pick up a couple bottles of water, then went ahead and launched.

Was surprised to see a couple of old friends on the water today in the person of Johnny Spruill and Joe McDevitt. I hadn't seen either one in a year or longer. Johnny called it quits right behind me today, so we exchanged a few pleasantries before I cleared the ramp area. He let me know he had caught a little bit of everything today. I never was close enough to Joe to say "hi."

As for the fishing, I started out throwing an assortment of baits, none of which produced anything for better than an hour. Then, though, I hit a bass with a Pop-R, and from that point on, I stayed with the same lure. I ended the day with a total of six, five of which were keepers. Their combined weight was 9 lbs. 3 ozs. Only missed one fish--even after I knocked all but one barb off the Pop-R I was throwing. The fish were aggressive enough today I didn't really have to set the hook.

Like our tournament last Saturday, I never left West Neck. Am not sure if that'll be my game plan for the tournament this coming Saturday. For that matter, I can't even be sure we'll be able to hold a tournament at this point. There are some serious north winds predicted between now and Saturday, so it's a pretty safe bet the water level is going to take a nosedive. For that reason, I'm reserving my final decision until 6 o'clock Friday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment