Friday, February 27, 2015

What's the Harm in a Little Innocent Innuendo?

I was cruisin' down the Internet highway yesterday when I came across a fella who said he has noticed a change in the "descriptive language of lures." As he explained, "I am seeing phrases like 'a seductive shimmy,' 'sexy action,' 'an enticing wiggle,' 'an attractive color,' 'tempting vibrations,' 'irresistible movement,' and 'provocative presentation.'"

Before reading any further, I decided to have a look for myself. The first example I came across was this photo and its caption on the Virginia Region 7 website (http://www.varegion7.com/) bearing Jim Funk's byline. He had titled the piece "The Other Woman." The accompanying caption read, "Since the weather stinks, and I am lucky enough to have a heated garage, I've been spending some time with 'the other woman.' I've been rubbing on her and fixing trailer-hub issues. I've also organized her. Next, I will remove the passenger console again, for the last time. SPRING, PLEASE COME SOON!"

The next example I found was a Brandon Deaton blog post titled "Big Girls Need Lovin' Too," which, he quickly noted, isn't something it would be smart to say to your girlfriend or wife. After explaining that the "big girls" he's referring to are female bass beginning to think about spawning, Brandon outlines some suggestions anglers should consider before headin' out in pursuit of those girls. If you'd like to see his post, here's the link: http://www.brandondeatonfishing.com/#!Big-Girls-Need-Lovin-Too/c21xo/F893AE17-7CAA-4C95-B725-333E617561FB. Might pay to check it out before the spring ritual arrives.

My last stop yesterday on the Internet highway was when I saw this headline: "Rapala's New Shadow Raps Shimmy Seductively While Suspending." The ensuing article (http://www.onthewater.com/rapalas-new-shadow-raps-shimmy-seductively-suspending/) highlighted the fact this new suspending jerkbait "perfectly mimics a minnow's final, quivering moments before its end of days, triggering unforgettable strikes as predator fish move in for an easy meal." The article went on to say that four of the pros who fished the 2015 Bassmaster Classic were equipped with Shadow Raps, heading into the competition.

As acknowledged by the fella I quoted in the opening paragraph of this post, "I understand there are some similarities between women and bass, such as often releasing many before finding a few worth keeping, inevitable backlashes in the pursuit of them, the testing of one's patience, often being impossible to work with, and being able to so easily entice a man into obsession... . However, I don't find massive mouths, extreme aggression, and the ability to eat something one-third their body size to be attractive traits in women."

He continued, "Are we undergoing a shift in fishing style? Are we done offering false food items, and instead seeking to seduce bass? If so, we should stop using green pumpkin and bluegill jigs and instead throw pink-voltage-lipstick jig heads with a sexy-curvy shad skirt. No more baby-bass crankbaits--you'd be better off with baby momma bass cranks, featuring a sensual shimmy and promiscuous wiggle... . I would go on, but it's imperative I start smearing lip gloss on my swimbaits."

I understand where this fella is coming from; however, I don't share all of his concerns. Quite frankly, I don't see anything wrong with using a little pink in our arsenals. I have been known to use some pink Senkos, as well as pink skirts (wouldn't call 'em "sexy-curvy," though) on my chatterbaits--and successfully, a number of times, I might add. As for getting bass to bite, in general, I'm all for whatever it takes, whether that be enticing, teasing, coaxing, or seducing. If a little innocent innuendo will put fish in the boat, especially on tourney day, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment