Thursday, January 1, 2015

Taking a Look Back... And Hoping for Better in 2015

I was checking out the classy latest blog entry of my good friend, Charlie Bruggemann, this morning, and decided that, even though I really don't "have much to write home about" when it comes to the year 2014, I'd better at least try to assemble some kind of wrap-up story.

It truly wasn't a "lost cause," in that I did manage, with my partner Rob's help, to put a 5.26-lb. bass in the boat. That happened back during the Saturday, Sept. 13 Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney. Unfortunately, our "best effort" of the whole year gleaned us big-fish honors for the day but fell a tad shy of winning the 2nd-place purse. We needed 11.63 lbs. for that but only had 11.55.

Just a week earlier, in another tourney from the same series, I had found the winner's circle with a 4th-place finish while fishing solo. My tally that day was 9.83. And, too, I was lucky enough to claim the mystery-weight prize on four occasions this past year--twice with Rob and twice solo.

When it comes to my overall totals for the whole year, I simply fade out of sight when comparing myself to Charlie. He caught a total of 625 bass, while I only boated a total of 192. I've said many times--and I truly believe it--Charlie is a "fishing machine." Not only is he good--he makes it look easy. I find myself sometimes drawing parallels between him and the pied piper of nursery-rhyme fame. He seemingly mesmerizes the bass. It's plain and simple, folks--Charlie's a tough act to follow.

I seem to have surprised a few folks by finishing the year 2014 with a Christmas present to myself--a different boat. I intentionally hadn't been saying anything to anyone about even wanting one because, quite honestly, I wasn't sure it ever would happen. It wasn't long, though, after buying my Skeeter SX-170 in 2002 that I began wishing I had gotten a 19-footer with a bit more giddy-up-go, which is exactly what I have with the 2002 Skeeter SX-190 that I just purchased a couple weeks ago.

And while I didn't gain anything in age, this SX-190 comes with many upgrades over what I had with the SX-170, most notably in added storage space, the onboard electronics, all-new upholstery, and a trailer that's only 2 years old. It's everything--plus some--that I had been wanting and watching for. And I didn't hesitate when I saw it pop in an ad on Craig's list.

Like several friends in recent years, however, I now find myself in the unenviable position of owning two boats... and having two insurance payments, two storage fees... I think you get the picture. So, if any of my readers know someone looking for a boat with a very reliable and well-maintained 115 Yamaha, be sure to have 'em call me at 651-2990. For all the pertinent details about this boat, refer to the ad in the upper right corner of my blog's homepage.

In closing, let me wish everyone a safe, healthy, prosperous, and Happy New Year. May all your troubles be small ones and your fortunes ten times ten.

I learned just today that friend and fellow tourney angler, Gary Coderre, is laid up for a spell. In an email, he said his left wrist is fractured, and three tendons in his left shoulder are separated. He further told me that he's awaiting surgery on his left bicep muscle--all the result of a workplace mishap that occurred several weeks ago.

"I'll be down for 6 to 8 weeks, with 4 to 6 months of therapy," said Gary, before adding, "I hope I can fish by the end of March."

Not one to be kept down, Gary still is working. However, he's on "sedentary duty," which, as he explained, simply means he's restricted to working behind a desk.

I feel certain I speak for all the guys when I say, "Get well soon, shipmate. We enjoy your company."

No comments:

Post a Comment