Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Went Fishin' and Did My Civic Duty, Too


It only took me a grand total of about 10 minutes this morning to dispel any possibility of another skunk. My watch read 9:10 as I brought the first bass aboard. He weighed in at 1-2.

Before ending my day at 2 o'clock, so I could collect the wife and get to the polls and vote, I had caught another four bass, the biggest of which was this 4-7. The other two that I weighed came in at 1-4 and 1-15. I also had one dink, plus about a 2-lb. pickerel. Three or four more fish made passes at my lure today but didn't get connected.

The fish in this photo snatched my bait behind one of the trees in West Neck Creek and immediately started taking drag. Given the low-water conditions today, I wanted to get him to deeper water. I clamped down on the spool with my thumb, used my foot to add more power to the trolling motor, and simply dragged the fish to the middle of the creek, where I landed it.

I caught everything in West Neck today on a crankbait. The secret to finding fish seemed to be finding isolated pieces of structure and wearing it out.

The water temp when I started this morning showed 50.5 degrees, and I failed to check the reading when I quit today.

Tomorrow is a new day, and I plan to be back out there trying to find some more fish, now that the fall bite seems to finally be kicking into gear. I had an email from my friend, Charlie, a little earlier, and he was telling me his best five fish yesterday weighed a tad over 14 lbs., and he, too, is going to be back on the water tomorrow in search of largemouths. Hopefully, we'll both find at least a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment