Thursday, October 23, 2014

Toward Improving the Lot of Old-Timers

One day here recently (actually, it was Monday, the day after our Classic tournament had ended), I was party to a three-way conversation that went something like this:

Angler No. 1: Will you please tell me which one of you two beat the crap out of me yesterday when I wasn't looking?

Angler No. 2: Well, it sure as heck wasn't me, 'cause whoever it was beat me up, too. I'm still sore, and that's even after having had a session with my chiropractor and massage gal this morning.

Angler No. 3: The arthritis in my hands is acting up, but thankfully, that has been the extent of it so far. Sorry to hear you both feel so rotten. Hopefully, it won't last long.

Angler No. 1: I'm pretty sure I'll live. Pain pills make everything easier. What is strange is that you'd think the rheumatoid arthritis in my wrist would hurt, but it's mainly my knees. I reckon that high step to the platform in my boat is what makes it so rough on them.

Angler No. 3: Yep--those pain pills are worth every dime you have to pay for 'em. I have a pretty good step up in my boat, too. You'll frequently find me using the back of my seat to pull myself up, especially as the fishin' day wears on.

Angler No. 1: That's funny, because that's exactly what I do.

Angler No. 3: I guess you could say the three of us are all in the same boat.

That dialog, coupled with a comment my wife made later in the evening as I was helping her do dishes, put the decrepit gears in my warped mind to working on the idea for this blog article. In case you've forgotten, I'm the same guy who once blogged about wanting to be buried in my bass boat, with all my gear around me. This time, I asked myself the question: What could they (the boat manufacturers) do to build bass boats a little more senior-citizen-friendly?

Among those things that immediately leaped to mind were some strategically placed grab bars--the kind like you find in modern household showers.

And instead of having that one long step from the floor of the boat up to the pedestal platform, install a short step in between.

I also would recommend some type of pill dispenser--one that each angler could load up to suit his/her own needs.

There also should be some sort of device for older anglers to relieve themselves, other than having to do it over the side. Suffice it to say that, as a man ages, everything shrinks. Another consideration is the matter of a weakened stream. The difference between age 30 and age 70 is considerable--take my word for it.

A battery-powered warmer for our pedestal seats also would be nice. Like our younger brethren, we sometimes like to venture out during winter months, if for no other reason than just to break the monotony of being housebound.

The senior housing industry today constantly is looking toward finding more ways to help seniors "age in place." What's wrong with carrying that concept one step further and challenging the nation's boating industry to find ways to keep seniors "fishing in place" a little longer?

No comments:

Post a Comment