Monday, October 6, 2014

Neither Snow, Nor Rain, Nor Heat, Nor Gloom of Night...


In case you thought I was headed off on some tangent about a postal worker, you can relax. I'm not. I just used that familiar intro to what often is misidentified as the U.S. Postal Service motto (they actually have no official motto, so I read this morning) to get your attention.

Instead, I'm going to talk a little bit about my friend and fellow bass fisherman--"Doc" Murdock, to be exact, and the fact he didn't let some of the coolest temperatures we've had since this past April deter him from making a trip to West Neck Creek yesterday. And he had plenty of company, too. Besides other West Neck Marina patrons, there were some of the nearly 30 boats fishing a Region 7 open bass tournament out of Munden Point shadowing him all day.

More importantly, everyone seemed to be catching fish. The one in this picture that "Doc" sent me measured out at 16 inches and weighed 2.8 lbs. He also caught two dinks--one that measured 11 inches and another that measured 12 inches.

And according to the Region 7 website, 1st place in yesterday's tournament went to the team of Rob Peppers and Don Carter, who had an eight-fish limit weighing 17.51 lbs.

The lucky lures for "Doc" yesterday were a crankbait and a jerkbait. He asked me not to divulge the specific names or colors, which I agreed to do, as I always do for anyone who asks. It's easy to understand why fishermen, in particular, don't always want to subscribe to this famous line from the old radio broadcaster Paul Harvey: "And now, for the rest of the story."

There simply are some things fishermen just would rather keep to themselves, or perhaps a very select circle of friends, and "Doc" is no different.

I just truly appreciate those few folks like "Doc" who send me information from time to time I can post on this blog to keep other anglers aware of what's happening on local waterways. Thanks to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment