Thursday, October 30, 2014

It Sometimes Doesn't Pay to Go Back for Seconds


That's the lesson I learned yesterday when I went back to the water for a second straight day of fishing. Given the extended weather forecast, though, I wasn't about to let another nice day slip by without getting a few lures wet, especially this time of year.

Tuesday's outing was a chance for me to make good on a promise I had made some time ago to my friend, "Doc." I had said I would familiarize him with Albright's, and that's where we spent the day. It wasn't exactly a stellar trip, in that we only caught four fish. "Doc" boated a bass and a pickerel, and I finished the day with two small bass. His productive baits were a swim jig and a crankbait, and I caught my two on a crankbait and a chatterbait.

My friend, Jim, also was out Tuesday and caught a total of four fish, including two small bass, a pickerel, and a crappie. He was using a crankbait in West Neck.

Like me, Jim has been dealing with a bout of sciatica, but we both felt good enough to return to West Neck yesterday morning and find out if we could improve on Tuesday's tallies. As it turned out, he ended up with three fish in West Neck--two more small bass and another pickerel. His go-to bait again was a crankbait. I, however, only succeeded in racking up my third skunk of the current season while fishing a topwater, chatterbait and series of crankbaits in Albright's.

In comparing notes after yesterday's outing, Jim and I found that our day was similar in one respect. We both had several strikes in which the fish never fully committed. I had one that completely stopped my chatterbait, but when I set the hook, I only found air. Later, I felt a tick while using the chatterbait and watched a big bow form in the line. I quickly took up the slack and reared back yet again, only to find nothing there. Jim had the same experience with the crankbait and a worm that he was fishing yesterday.

Overall, I can't really complain, because "Doc" at least had a good time learning some new water Tuesday, and Jim and I both got through the two back-to-back days seemingly without aggravating our sciatica conditions. We both were a little weary from fighting the stronger wind yesterday but felt pretty decent otherwise.

From the looks of things now, I won't be heading back out again until sometime next week. It'll all depend on the weather and how I feel. Jim pretty much echoed those sentiments, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment