Tuesday, September 2, 2014

We Sizzled, And the Fishin' Fizzled (for the Most Part)


My friends Rob and Gary both took an extra day off from their jobs this Labor Day weekend so they could do a little fishin' today (without all the crowds), so I told Rob I'd hold down the backseat of his boat--and that's pretty much all I did today. We all launched at 6:15 this morning, and when we rolled back beside the catwalks at 11 o'clock, no one but Gary had anything to brag about.

It seems that Gary found a topwater bite long enough this morning to boat four bass, while Rob and I came up empty-handed--unless, that is, you consider the two baitfish that Rob managed to catch with a PopR. Huge pods of baitfish were everywhere in Blackwater first thing this morning as we picked up our rods and started casting, so it wasn't all that unusual for Rob to snag a couple of them.

From Blackwater, we  moved to the back of Albright's before ending our shortened trip in West Neck. We saw some baitfish everywhere we went today, but Blackwater, by far, held the most. They simply were everywhere you looked. And there were some blowups but nothing like what you normally would expect under the circumstances.

In talking to Gary after we all were off the water, I learned that he caught all of his fish before 10 o'clock this morning--three on a frog and one on a PopR. He even told me where he caught them but asked that I withhold that info from this post, since there's a tourney this coming Saturday. That's the least I can do for a friend.

With an air temp in the 90s and a water temp in the 80s, I don't suppose one really could expect anything much better than what we had today. The way I see it, I had an enjoyable boat ride, some good conversation with friends, and a BBQ sandwich and soda to top everything off, so I'm happy. As the old saying goes: "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

1 comment:

  1. I had the same results today as you. I stayed in West Neck Creek (north)

    ReplyDelete