Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Nice Day, But Too Many Toothy Critters


Anytime I catch three grindle, especially when one starts my day and another ends it, and they all represent my biggest fish of the day (about 3 lbs. each) as well, I get a little frustrated. That feeling, though, is tempered considerably when I also catch five bass, including the 1-8 pictured here, along with a 1-2, two 12-inchers, and a 10-incher.

Thus went my day down in Albright's. I also lost one bass--big enough to slip my drag--when I misjudged a swirl under my bait. I initially thought he had missed it, but I quickly realized he was connected. After only one run past the bow of my boat, however, he came unbuttoned and was gone.

With all the cloud cover and cooler temps (cool enough I was forced to wear my rain jacket for a while) this morning, I had every hope there would be a topwater bite for at least a while, but that never materialized. The only sign of any interest in my topwater bait came early on when a fish flipped it with his tail. As has been common this year, there were no second chances.

Today's fish--all eight of them--came on a bait that, three years ago, was my primary offering all year long. I had a lot of success with it then but, since that time, have been struggling to find more than an occasional fish here and there with it. I spent the last couple of days researching the Internet for some suggestions about how to fish the bait more effectively, though, and some of what I read proved to be the ticket today. Will I continue to find success? Who knows? All I'm sure of is that I'll keep trying.

My day certainly wasn't anything to write home about, but there was sufficient activity to keep my interest alive all day. Equally important, I had an opportunity to put some rods back into service that just have been resting in my rod caddy for quite a spell. I'm making a concerted effort to use some of the stuff that, for the most part, only has been collecting dust. Now, if only I could control my buying habits, but I seem to be destined to keep falling prey to those "toys" that attract more fishermen than they do fish. Oh well, you only go through this life once.

No comments:

Post a Comment