Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Most--Albeit Unfulfilled--Excitement I've Had in a Long Time


With the low water this morning, I didn't even consider running south to fish. Instead, I stayed in West Neck.

My day started with a feisty 6-inch bass that I caught about 8 o'clock. Between then and 3 o'clock, I only managed a couple more dinks, along with a 4- or 5-lb. bowfin. All the fish came on a worm or a Bill Norman or Strike King crankbait. I tried a chatterbait and jerkbait to no avail.

The excitement I referred to in the headline came about 10 o'clock, when I was fishing a bend in the creek. I just had started tossing a Bill Norman crankbait--one that I usually only throw in winter months. I decided to use it because a friend recently told me he had caught a few fish on the same bait.

The lure just had splashed down, and I had taken less than a full turn on the reel handle, when a fish slammed the bait hard. Wasting no time, he immediately high-tailed it toward the middle of the creek, taking drag at will, despite the fact I had it cinched down pretty tight. Glancing down at my reel, I saw that I only had 10 or 15 yards of line left--if that much--and I was concerned about that, as well as the fact I knew I'd be in trouble if another boat came by.

Fortunately, I was wearing a leather glove on my left hand and decided to apply more pressure to the spool with my left thumb. I was lucky enough to stop the run and to turn the fish and start him back toward the boat. At that point, though, my luck ran out. Suddenly, my line went limp. The lure still was attached, and the hooks all were OK when I got the crankbait back, so I only could assume the hooks had pulled out.

I never saw the fish, but I feel certain it was a big striper. I've caught others in the same bend--even the same spot--over the years, so I know they sometimes hang out there.

Once again, I failed to execute on getting the big one in the boat, but I certainly had the enjoyment of feeling his power at the end of my line. I honestly don't remember the last time I had a fish take that much line. Perhaps one of these days, the stars and planets all will line up just right, and I'll bring one of these big boys over the side. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment