Friday, August 15, 2014

"Same Story, Different Day"

That's how my long-time friend, Jim, described his trip to West Neck today. He, of course, was comparing his day to the one I had yesterday and reported on in last night's post.

"About the only thing different was I didn't get hold of a big fish, and I managed to boat six crappie that I eventually turned loose to fight again another day," Jim explained. "I did catch one bass that weighed a pound--caught it on a 'new' worm that I just got this week."

Like me yesterday, Jim had no sign of a topwater bite, nor could he find any interest in a chatterbait. He also tossed a Thin N crankbait for a while, also to no avail. The only other activity he had today was a second worm strike that ended with about an inch missing from the bait, a case of a snapped leader at the bridge, and about 6 feet or so of "mean and ornery cotton mouth." The snake eventually turned around and headed for the bank but not before Jim had prepared to defend his turf.

About 10:30 this morning, Jim met up with Eddie Sapp, who said he got back to town this past Monday and has fished every day since. He and partner, Chris Napier, fished this past Wednesday night's tourney at Bob's and put together a five-fish limit of 10.40 lbs., which was good enough to capture 1st place. It would seem that Eddie knows how to shed that fishin' rust rather quickly.

The water temp at Jim's 7 o'clock launch was 79.8 degrees, compared to 85-plus when he quit at 3:30 this afternoon. The wind today, as he noted, "couldn't make up its mind. At times it was flat calm, and then it would go southerly to northerly in just a few minutes."

I gotta admit: Jim's day was pretty much a carbon copy of what I experienced yesterday. Here's hoping better days lie ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment