Wednesday, August 20, 2014

One Boat Claims Everything Today


The team of Al Napier (left) and Red Bruun won the prize money, as well as big-fish honors, in today's first-ever Senior Citizens Day Old-Timers Bass Rodeo, which was held at West Neck Marina. They weighed a three-fish limit, totaling 10.38 lbs., including the lunker at 3.66 lbs.

The nearest competitor and only other angler to weigh three fish was Jim Bauer, whose total weight was 7.98 lbs., anchored by a 3.27-lb. bass.

Then came Skip Schaible with two fish, weighing 2.04 lbs. Behind him was the team of Jerry Gardner and Eddie Yco, whose one bass tipped the scales at 1.01 lbs.

Those who didn't weigh in today included John Goodman, who did catch one keeper bass but decided just to release it, and yours truly, who caught three small bass, none of which were keepers.

After arriving home this afternoon, I received this photo from Jerry, along with this explanation: "You know you've had a bad day of fishing when a foul-hooked bowfin is the highlight of your day. This is the ONLY fish that I got today."

This was another event in which I heard most of the contestants echoing the fact there was absolutely no topwater bite at all this morning, despite the fact conditions were excellent for that kind of bite. I'm fairly certain that most anglers today caught their fish on soft plastics. I, too, spent most of my day fishing soft plastics, but all the dinks I put in the boat came on a super shallow-running crankbait in the last hour and a half of the competition.

Whether today's rodeo will become an annual event likely will depend a lot on what kind of feedback I get next year when I send out a request for a show of hands from those interested in renewing the event. Until then, thanks to all who participated today. I'm sorry we couldn't have any of those tasty BBQ sandwiches, but those circumstances were beyond my control.

No comments:

Post a Comment