Friday, July 18, 2014

Slow Days Seem to Be Here to Stay a While

I'm sure he wasn't trying to duplicate my numbers from yesterday in West Neck Creek, but that's nevertheless what Jim Bauer did today. His best fish of the day was this 1-14 bass, which grabbed a plastic worm that Jim was fishing at the time. He also boated one 14-oz. dink on a chatterbait.

If these had been his only catch of the day, Jim might have been a bit disappointed. However, he was all smiles as he pulled 22 nice crappie out of his livewell.

I'm taking my time doing this blog post tonight because I'm running on fumes after fishing several hours yesterday, then spending about another 10 hours on the water today. Ordinarily, I wouldn't put in such a long day, but my wife has been out of town a couple of days now, so I've been getting in some extra licks. Suffice it to say I'm not even thinking about trying for the third day in a row tomorrow. I'm shutting off the phones when I go to bed tonight and don't plan to rise and shine tomorrow until I feel like it. That's the way I roll when it's just me holding down the home front.

Try as I might, the best I could do today was four bass, led by this 1-6. I also caught two that weighed 1-4 and one that tipped the scales at 1-5. I had those four by 1 o'clock and thought sure I'd have a fifth one by the time I quit at 4 o'clock, but that wasn't in the cards.

Like yesterday, I threw a topwater, chatterbait, spinnerbait, a medium-running crankbait, and an extra-shallow-running crankbait. I managed to catch one bass on the topwater, but all the others once again fell for the extra-shallow-running crankbait.

I had some half-hearted strikes by other fish throughout the day but didn't get hooked up with any of them. They always were gone by the time I got around to trying a hookset.

I'm not sure if I'll get in another day before our next tourney, which will be a week from tomorrow. In all honesty, I'm not certain it'll make any difference, given the way the bite is right now. I'll just have to wait and see how things go between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment