Friday, April 11, 2014

One Angler Shined Today--the Rest of Us, Not So Much










The angler who shined is Jim Bauer, who caught this 4-15.













                    He also boated this 4-0.






Then there was this 2-1, too, along with, just for good measure, a 1-10, giving him a four-fish total weight of 12-10. Don't know how the rest of you feel, but as far as I'm concerned, that, my friends, is a pretty fair day's haul. Said Jim, "It's been a long time since I had that much weight in four fish."

All these fish came from what little protection Jim could find in West Neck coves today. He didn't specify which ones, but he did tell me that he patted all the fish on the head before releasing them, and told 'em he'd be back on tourney day to get 'em.

I had an email from another angler who fished West Nest for 2.5 hours today and only came away with a 9-incher for his efforts--beats a skunk, as he aptly noted. He told me the dink went for a Senko. I'm not sure where this angler fished, but I have a feeling he didn't check out the coves, or he probably would have found some of the same action as Jim.

I also talked to Skip Schaible today, who was fishing his second day in a row. He spent some time in Albright's first thing this morning but finally got tired of fighting the wind, tied everything down, and headed to Pocaty, where he knew he could find a little break from the conditions. There, he managed to boat six bass. "All of 'em were over a pound, but none went 2," he said.

And bringing up the rear is yours truly, whose best fish (in the boat, that is) was this 1-2. I also caught a 1-0, as well as, near the end of the day, a pickerel that would have weighed a couple pounds. He kept thrashing beside the boat long enough to gain his freedom without my having to help the process, which always tickles me pink.

My day was highlighted by a couple of nice ones that got away--in one case, through nobody's fault but my own. That fish easily was 5 lbs., and the problem started when I disregarded the common-sense rule about using a net anytime you have a big fish on. I, instead, tried to swing it aboard. The fish was about a foot or so out of the water when he flipped his tail, and that's all it took for the hook to tear loose. I kicked myself all afternoon and am still kicking myself over that one, and if Rob had been in the boat, he likely would have given me one just for good measure.

I lost another nice bass when casting to a small patch of very calm water at the very back of a cove. He blasted my topwater, then immediately dove in a submerged tree. I kept a tight line and fought my way to where the fish had dove, only to find both hooks buried in the wood but no sign of the fish.

I would be less than truthful if I didn't say I'm feeling pretty humble tonight after my experiences today. Hopefully, there will be some opportunities to redeem myself before the season is over. One thing is certain: I will use the net on any fish that takes drag and chases me around my boat the way that big one did today.

I'm going to close this post out with this personal note for my tourney partner, Rob. Remember what I was telling you last evening about the way we need to fish that one particular tree--from just one direction? Well, I'm more convinced than ever. I missed a fish there today because I was just a tad too slow in my reaction time. In case I forget the next time we're there, Rob, remind me what we need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment