Saturday, June 15, 2013

Rocky Start But Solid Finish


First, there was the issue of a headlight being out on my van. Then, I couldn't find my digital scales this morning. I figured those were only precursors of bigger things to come during my fishing day. However, I just drew in a deep breath, and said, "Oh well! Won't the first time and darn sure won't be the last, either."

Fortunately, things settled down from that point forward, and I had a good day after all. Here are photos of my best two fish. Since I didn't find my scales until I was cleaning out my boat this afternoon (they were back under my console), I'll have to settle for estimating their weight. I'm guessing the one at the top would have gone about 1.5 lbs., and the one at the bottom probably would have weighed about 1.75 lbs.

While it wasn't a "quality" type day, I can say the "quantity" wasn't too bad. I ended up with these two bass, plus 14 more. I also caught two medium-sized grindle and a small white perch. Both grindle ended up going free without any knots on their ol' noggin'--guess I'm getting soft in my old age.

If I had to pick a highlight of the day, it would be the period between about 8:15 and 8:30 when I boated a total of seven bass and lost one more. They were whacking my bait as soon as it splashed down.

There was no one magic lure. I caught fish on all of the following: Yo-Zuri SS Minnow in green herring, Bomber Square A in chartreuse with brown back, Strike King 1XS in sexy shad, and Senko SwimWorm in pumpkin with black flakes. Once I knew all of these baits would work, I just kept rotating them throughout the day.

A chatterbait in chartreuse/white with a Ribbitt frog trailer in chartreuse/white drew several strikes today. I had momentary hook-ups with four of the fish but didn't get any of them to the boat.

All of my fish came out of Albright's--some off wood and some off the grass line. It didn't seem to really matter where I tossed my lures.

I certainly have no regrets about how this day turned out, even after considering the couple of hiccups I encountered at the beginning. It's seldom that I have a chance to enjoy an all-day bite like I had today.

No comments:

Post a Comment