Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"Your Roots Are Showing"

Tell a woman that, and you may get decked. But since I'm talking about West Neck Creek here, I don't reckon I have to worry about anything like that happening.

All kidding aside, the sad reality is that the creek again looks like someone hooked a giant vacuum to it. These persistent northeast winds have done it yet one more time.

I was scouring the boat ramp at West Neck today when my good buddy, Charlie Bruggemann, joined me with a couple of his cameras. We talked for a spell, and Charlie shot some stills and video of the dire scene in front of us (tried to email the video a little earlier to the whole tourney gang but noticed that it was too big a file for some of the mailboxes). While he was doing that, I went back to checking out the ramp for souvenirs and found a couple: a quarter and a ziplock bag full of sinkers. I also discovered an old wood screw--one with about a 3/8-inch diameter and probably about 1.25 inches long. I pocketed the quarter and dropped the other stuff in the nearest trash can.

Bottom line: If you're thinking about hitting the local water anytime soon--at least, while these northeast winds continue--I think your best choice, probably the only choice, is the ramp at Munden Point Park. And if it was me, I wouldn't even head there until I had called first. UPDATE: Forget trying Munden Point, too. As of this morning (Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2012), I learned that a couple friends tried to get out there yesterday, and while they were able to launch, the water beyond the ramp was so shallow they had to put the boat back on the trailer and go home. The only other possible option you MAY have is Bob's Fishing Hole on the Northwest River. Again, though, I would encourage you to call first.

For your viewing pleasure, here are a couple more photos of the current water conditions (all courtesy of my friend, John Goodman, who also was at West Neck today).

 
Incidentally, I'm a confirmed believer now: The West Neck ramp really does end at that last post on each catwalk. The water was shallow enough today I clearly could see the tip of the concrete.
 
Epilog: I knew if a person could get out under these conditions, catching fish would be like shooting 'em in a barrel. Consider this report I just got at 3:25 p.m. today, Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2012, from my kayaker buddy, Charlie: "Water was up about 6-8 inches today but still very low, just like I like it. Had a great day. Beat my record for the year with a 4-7. Total bass caught 17. They were hitting mostly shallow cranks but would take most anything. All fish were in the channel... just like we discussed yesterday." Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment