Friday, November 9, 2012

You'll Be Missed by Many, My Friend

There's no easy way to say farewell to an old friend, especially one the caliber of Dewey Mullins. I've been writing for more than 50 years, and yet I'm struggling here to find the right words to pay my final respects.

The one thing I am certain about is that Dewey won't soon, if ever, be forgotten by his large circle of family and friends. He had a special knack for leaving a lasting impression on all with whom he came into contact.

I looked up to Dewey for a number of reasons, but none more prominent than the fact I never heard him complain about his health problems. For at least six years, he had been battling conditions that would have incapacitated some. Dewey, though, kept working and acting as though nothing at all was wrong. I'd always ask him how he was doing, and his usual response was, "Oh, I'm OK."

When we West Neck tourney anglers voted unanimously to rename our events the Dewey Mullins Tribute Bass Tourneys this past season, we only were doing something that was long overdue. I'll never forget the smile that came across his face the day I walked into the marina store and told him about what we had done. In his usual jovial way, he said, "Hey, if it helps us catch a few more fish, I'm all for it." And catch a few more fish we did--far exceeding even his wildest imagination, or so I believe. It actually turned out to be an unprecedented year.

For openers, 11 of our 18 events (including the two-day Classic) in 2012 had 20 or more anglers vying for the top honors, which meant we could pay three places. I don't recall any other year ever in which we had even one tourney with that many participants. In seven tournaments, participants collectively weighed more than 100 pounds of fish--another first. Our collective grand totals for the year were 862 bass for a whopping total weight of 1,567.34 pounds. Dewey really was proud of those stats, and for good reason. None of us could have known the year would turn out that way, but I'm so glad it did--for Dewey's sake. It was pure joy for me to watch the big smile that came across his face each time I'd update all the totals for him.

I want to believe you're smiling even more now, my friend, as all that pain and suffering you endured has been put to rest. And it's my fondest hope that we West Neck tourney anglers keep doing you proud as we continue the tradition of the Dewey Mullins Tribute Bass Tourneys.

One other matter remains, my ol' shipmate, and that is I have to give you the traditional nautical wish of "Fair Winds and Following Seas." I also wish you "Tight Lines!" Our journey together was cut far too short.

Epilog: Dewey passed away at 6:09 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012, at the age of 75.

2 comments:

  1. I send my condolences to the family and they are in my prayers. I didn't know Dewey well, he seemed a little rough when I first met him, but I think that's the way all us swabbies are until you get to know us. He was always looking out for others well being and you could say he ran a tough (squared away) ship there at the marina. He will be missed by many. Is the marina open going to be open this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any official word about whether the marina will be open, but given that the family is immersed in funeral plans and related matters, I doubt that anyone will be available. Your best bet is to call first: 426-6735.

      Delete