Friday, November 30, 2012

Hook, Line & Sinker...

 
Here are my best five of six bass today from West Neck Creek. I don't recall the order in which I caught them, but the weights were as follows: two at 1-1, one at 1-7, one at 1-9, and one at 2-3. My first fish of the day, which came at 1015 (a half-hour after I launched), was a 12-inch keeper but only weighed 13 ozs.

Like Monday, all the fish fell for a Bill Norman Thin N. I found two colors that produced today. One was the chartreuse with dark back that I used Monday; the other had some chartreuse with a little brown and gold. I'm beginning to think there's a degree of truth in that Bassmaster article I recently read about using flat-sided crankbaits this time of year. They've certainly earned my trust these past two outings.

The ticket to success again today was an agonizingly slow retrieve. In fact, I was cranking the bait so slow a couple of times that the hits I got reminded me of what I often feel when a fish hits a plastic worm. I'd feel a tap-tap, then set the hook, and a fish would be there. I missed three fish today because I didn't react fast enough. The hits came throughout the day but seemed to come to a halt about 1 o'clock, which was an hour and 15 minutes before I quit.

Besides the six bass, I also boated one small striper. There wasn't the first sign of any baitfish today.

The water temp at the ramp when I launched this morning was 42.9 degrees. It had climbed to 48.5 when I came in this afternoon. If the night and daytime temps predicted for the next few days materialize, I have to believe the fishing is going to improve. I have every intention of finding out. Barring the unforseen, I plan to get out again both Monday and Tuesday.

Before I forget, let me update you about my friend Chris Fretard's day on the water this past Monday. He, too, was out again today and stopped by to let me know he caught a couple of nice ones that day, the biggest a 3.5 pounder, on a weighted fluke.

I talked to Dewey's wife, Jane, today before leaving the marina, and she told me that family members will be helping her get moved in with her one daughter this weekend. She told me that her plan is to be in her new quarters by Monday. In case any of you are interested, Jane is looking for someone to take a couple of her cats. If so, I urge you to try calling the store or house sometime tomorrow or Sunday. The numbers are 426-6735 (store) and 426-7890 (house).

There's still no word on who may be taking over the day-to-day operation of the marina. I understand the owners have talked to one couple interested, but that's all I know to date. I'll post an update once I have any new info.

No comments:

Post a Comment