Monday, November 12, 2012

Hook, Line & Sinker...

 
With today being the predicted last nice day for a spell, Jim Bauer and I teamed up and hit the water in his boat about 9:30 this morning. We headed north up West Neck and kept moving in that direction all day before calling it quits about 2:30.

Jim started the day throwing a walk-the-dog topwater bait, but it didn't draw any attention, so he soon changed to a light-colored Bomber crankbait and stayed with it the rest of the day. He ended up with three bass, the biggest a 1-6, plus two pickerel and a white perch.

I tried a number of different crankbaits, which netted me only a small pickerel. I missed three other strikes, only one of which was decent, and it came this morning on a spinnerbait. About 30 minutes before we quit, I again picked up the spinnerbait and immediately had a couple of fish splash at it. I slowed it down, and that's all it took for the 2-15 in this photo to smack it. He put up a decent fight and likely would have been gone if the battle had lasted much longer. I say that because the hook fell out of his mouth as I lifted him from the net.

We talked to a couple other anglers who said they had caught a few bass and more than their share of pickerel today.

Water temps all day never reached 60 degrees, and, of course, we had duckweed to contend with off and on. However, there was no scum line to speak of on Jim's boat when he cleaned it up. All in all, it wasn't a bad day--just not one to write home about.

1 comment: